PEEPA is responsible for advising Government on privatisation strategies as well as implementation of privatisation, which includes commercialisation, restructuring, outsourcing and divesture interventions for the effectiveness and efficiency of PEs and Ministries as well as promoting good corporate governance in PEs.
More specifically, PEEPA is responsible for:
- Offering advice on privatisation and developing strategies and implementation plans on for Cabinet approval;
- Implementing Cabinet decisions on the privatisation of a particular public entity or service;
- Managing the roll out of Government’s outsourcing programme;
- Undertaking sector reform studies linked to privatisation, as funded by line ministries;
- Assisting Government in setting performance targets for public entities;
- Reviewing objectives of existing PEs and setting objectives for PEs to be commercialised and/or corporatised;
- Monitoring the performance of PEs in meeting their objectives and targets;
- Advising Government on the appointment of directors to serve on PE boards and monitor their performance;
- Developing and executing a public education programme on privatisation and corporate governance in line with PEEPA's mandate;
- Serving as Secretariat to the Divestiture Reference Committee.